I put the “mental” in sentimental on more than one occasion this week. I could easily write a sappy post about the heartbreak of watching my children head off to school this fall. It’s odd, this weird mixture of nostalgia and fierce pride watching your babies grow up before your eyes.
I could lament about my son starting grade one and what a caring, big-hearted little man he is becoming.
I could write about how his little sister is missing her playmate desperately and about the fear I have about my daughter, post Epilepsy diagnosis, going to preschool 2x a week.
But instead I am going to list the things my dear children do to annoy the living crap out of me on a daily basis—the things that enable mothers to wipe away the tears, and let out an elated “Yeee-ha!” (possibly too elated, as other parents stare, aghast, as you peel out of the parking lot) as you drop off your mini-yous at school.
Here is my Top Ten List…in no particular order (though number one is a major pet peeve):
1. Mimicking my every word like a myna bird with an attitude
2. Peeing in the bathroom, EVERYWHERE but IN the toilet
3. Throwing food on the floor, refusing food, spitting out food…Yes, I’m talking to YOU my darling daughter.
4. Bum wiping. Enough said about that.
5. The word, “Mine!” forcing me into doing the fake, calm voice otherwise…it could get ugly.
6. The 6 year old trying sarcasm on for size and not quite pulling it off.
7. Asking the same question over and over and over until I’m forced to come up with an acceptable answer.
8. Tapping or tugging on any part of my body to get my attention.
9. Waking. Me. Up. Nightly. So. Effing. Tired.
10. Wrapping me so tightly around their sticky little fingers that they have me completely, utterly and desperately devoted to them until the day I die. Damn them and their dirty tricks!