Taking my friend Laureen’s lead, I started thinking about the role music plays in my attitude and in my life in general. I work better with music playing. I live better too. Breakfast with the kids is always accompanied by a soundtrack selected by my twelve year old. It’s usually something like the John Williams channel on Jango (internet radio). Avery always shows her appreciation when a song from Star Wars comes on. “Ohhhhhh, Star Warrrrrrs….” she’ll whisper with just the right amount of dramatic reverence.
Our iPad conked out today, so no Jango. Breakfast without musical accompaniment is just, toast. So I dug out an old radio from the basement and plugged it in. We listened to an actual radio station with DJs and news breaks and everything. The kids were slightly bewildered by it all.
During my work day I try to fuel my creativity with music. Depending on my task, the music shifts from hip hop to classical to folk music to talk radio.
Laureen posed the question, “What song gets you up and running?”
I thought I’d add to the conversation by asking, “What songs make up the soundtrack of your life right now?” Specifically what songs resonate with you today and make you think, “Yes, that’s exactly how I’m feeling!”
These ten songs are part of the soundtrack of my life right now:
1. Ellie Goulding Your Song because hers are the sweetest eyes I’ve ever seen.
2. Maroon Five, This Summer’s Gonna Hurt Like A Mother F*****r because my god our calendar this summer. We’re all over the place. Fun, yes. But we freelancers don’t get summers off so it’s all play, work, work, fret, relax, play, work, sleep (maybe?), play, work, etc. I am afeared…
3. OMI, Cheerleader because it feels good to be a cheerleader.
4. Wiz Kahlifa See You Again because missing someone is hard.
5. Taylor Swift Bad Blood because shit life happens.
6. Miley Cyrus The Climb because it’s uphill a lot of the way.
7. Pitch Perfect2 Soundtrack Flashight because fun music that makes arm goosebumps is essential.
8. Cat Stevens Oh Very Young because though they are still very young, they’re growing up so fast. Too fast. Plus, poetry to music… 🙂
9. Major Lazer & DJ Snake Lean On because we all need somebody to lean on.
10. LunchMoney Lewis Bills because, well, bills.
What song(s) make up the soundtrack of your life right now?