Hello chimichurri sauce. Where have you been all my life? We first met at a restaurant and you had me at the first savoury mouthful. Then I made you at home and put you on my chicken breasts. (That sounds wrong somehow, but at least I didn’t say pork loins!). Then I spread you on a warm loaf of garlic bread and introduced you to my girlfriends at Games Night. You made us swoon. You’re one little hottie of an appetizer, but it’s also possible that I got slightly carried away with the red chili pepper flakes…
Chimichurri Garlic Bread
- garlic bread loaf, homemade or store bought
- 2 cups fresh parsley and/or cilantro
- 6 cloves of garlic (more or less depending on how garlicky you like it)
- 1/4 of a small red onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- splash of red wine vinegar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- kosher salt
- red chili pepper flakes, to taste
- diced fresh tomato
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- Pulse garlic and onion in food processor until finely chopped.
- Add parsley and/or cilantro, and pulse briefly.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the olive oil, lime/lemon juice, vinegar and stir.
- Season with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Gently mix in diced tomato and avocado cubes.
- Spread generously over baked garlic bread and serve.
Chimichurri sauce can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Warning: Chimichurri may result in greenies in your teeth, but it’s totally worth it. Looking good ladies!